Known originally as the Iwan Ardan School District when it was organized formally in June 1907, it was renamed Rattray School District sometime before 1921. A one-room, wood frame schoolhouse operated at SE28-14-8E in what is now the Rural Municipality of Brokenhead. The district was dissolved in 1968 and its catchment area became part of the Agassiz School Division.
Among the teachers of Rattray School were William Jerowsky (?-?), Harold Arthur Whitfield (1921), Wallace Ross Donogh (1922), and John Duchominsky (?-1945).
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.20871, W96.42996
denoted by symbol on the map above
Molson West topographic map, 62I/1 West, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Nathan Kramer and Katherine Krawchuk Fecio for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 February 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!