The Island School District was established in June 1923 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE32-22-3E in the Rural Municipality of Bifrost. In 1966, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Arborg Consolidated School District and later the Evergreen School Division. A commemorative sign remains at the former school site.
Island School (no date)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 95.
Commemorative sign for Island School (May 2015)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N50.93478, W97.14489
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Laufas School No. 1211 (RM of Bifrost)
Arborg topographic map, 62I/14, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 September 2015
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.