Historic Sites of Manitoba: Irwinton School No. 1155 (RM of Rockwood)
The Irwinton School District was established in November 1901 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW4-13-3E in the Rural Municipality of Rockwood. In 1957, a new school building was constructed beside the old one, which was then moved to Stony Mountain and renovated into a private residence. The new school closed in 1962 and was moved elsewhere to be used as extra classroom. The district was dissolved in 1967 when it became part of the Interlake School Division.
Among the teachers who worked at Irwinton School were Margaret Monteith, Tula Goheen, Mr. Tupper, Mr. Rutledge, Mr. Morgan, Effie McCaskill, Gertie Holmes, Miss Meanwell, Miss Lemon, Laura Roche (1930-1940), Miss Y. Gustafson, Peggy Todd, Giselle Ruel, Miss A. Maskow, Olga Susick, Shirley Mainman, S. Letandre, Leah Bourk, Peggy Watts, Miss S. Toews, and Miss Pike (1960-1962).
Stonewall East topographic map, 62H/11 East, Edition 1, 1952, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
100 Years of History: Rockwood Municipality by Rockwood Municipality History, 1982.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 March 2018
Back to top of page