Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Pool Grain Elevators / Ipswich Siding Monument (Ipswich, RM of Yellowhead)
Established in 1910, the railway siding of Ipswich (midway between Strathclair and Shoal Lake on Highway 16, on the CPR Bredenbury Subdivision in the Rural Municipality of Yellowhead) was named for the English home town of settler Harold Stevenson, who owned the land. The following year, the first elevator was built by Alfred S. Arnold. It burned down around 1924. A new elevator owned by Norman M. Paterson replaced it. The Ipswich Cooperative Association, founded in 1928, operated a newly-built Pool elevator and it acquired Paterson’s elevator in 1962. The two elevators were closed in 1975 and the railway siding was later removed. A monument to commemorate them was erected in 2012.
Agents / Buyers (Manitoba Pool)
Photos & Coordinates
“Strathclair burial for Alexander Pirie,” Winnipeg Free Press, 12 March 1957, page 33.
Obituary [William Henry Ruddock], Winnipeg Free Press, 18 March 1985, page 36.
Obituary [Adam Proudfoot Wright], Shoal Lake Crossroads, 11 November 2006, page 25.
Manitoba Pool Fonds, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University.
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 March 2020