Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hyland Navigation and Trading Company Docks (Red River, Winnipeg)

Located in Winnipeg, this four-acre riverfront property between Beaconsfield Street and the western bank of the Red River was acquired by Hyland Navigation and Trading Company (HNTC) in the spring of 1910. The site, which spanned around 450 feet of river frontage, was purchased for around $120,000, with an estimated further $60,000 necessary for the construction of a dock facilities and headquarters. Also on the property were three older residential buildings as well as a former government-run Polish Training School. Departures from this location first began around Victoria Day 1910, with downstream frequent excursions to St. Andrews Lock and Dam, Selkirk, and the company's own Hyland Park, as well as freighter destinations around Lake Winnipeg. Mooring capacity was later expanded to allow mooring several company steamships, including the Bonnitoba and Winnitoba, and freight barges to berth at once. The HNTC presence lasted only a few years before it was disbanded by the courts. Later demolished, the only vestiges are the wooden support posts are visible at times of low water levels.

Remains of the Hyland Navigation and Trading Company Docks

Remains of the Hyland Navigation and Trading Company Docks (November 2016)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.91100, W97.12652
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Manitoba Business: Hyland Navigation and Trading Company

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hyland Park (RM of East St. Paul)

Sources:

“River excursions will soon begin,” Winnipeg Tribune, 11 May 1910, page 7.

“Hyland Company buys dock site,” Manitoba Free Press, 23 May 1920, page 1.

“Victoria Day excursions,” Winnipeg Tribune, 23 May 1910, page 3.

“Hyland Co. docks,” Winnipeg Tribune, 23 May 1910, page 7.

“I’m making an investment,” Winnipeg Tribune, 24 March 1911, page 9.

“Red River to be surveyed to line,” Manitoba Free Press, 19 July 1912, page 9.

“The Oldtimer talks,” by Garnett Clay Porter, Winnipeg Tribune, 28 January 1939, page 32.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 15 February 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.