Construction of this concrete culvert bridge over the Scallion Creek along an abandoned portion of highway 256 (E4-11-28W) in what is now the Rural Municipality of Wallace-Woodworth was completed in September 1916, by contractors A. Munro and William Newman & Company using Plan 64, at a cost of $1,165.
Concrete culvert bridge no. 64 over the Scallion Creek along an abandoned portion of highway 256 (May 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Concrete culvert bridge no. 64 over the Scallion Creek (August 2021)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89116, W101.24051
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: William Newman (1866-1952)
Good Roads Board Records, GR0016, Schedule A0215, G10707, Folio 7, RM of Wallace, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba historic bridges inventory book (1920s), copy in possession of Gordon Goldsborough on loan from David Ennis.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 April 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.