Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Holy Ghost Ukrainian Orthodox Church (RM of Dauphin)

This former church in the Rural Municipality of Dauphin ranks among the oldest Ukrainian Orthodox churches in Canada. The exact date of construction was never recorded but it is believed to have been around 1897. Built of logs in the rare Lemko architectural style, in the 1950s the logs were covered with insul-bric siding. The land on which it stands was originally registered as a “Ruthenian Catholic Church” and the municipal map still refers to it as such.  However, sometime in the early history of the church, it transferred to the Russian Orthodox Mission in Canada over the issues of Latinization and land ownership. It subsequently transferred to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church because the congregation felt the Russian priest “acted inappropriately.”

The church was a treasure trove of old icons. It had a number of chromolithographs from pre-revolutionary Russia as well as some pictures targeted at a Roman Catholic audience. Of particular interest were two hand-painted icons dated 1899 and a processional cross dated 1900. None of these three items were signed but they appeared to have been painted by the same iconographer, apparently a professional. Their origins are unknown but they were possibly the oldest hand-painted icons in any Ukrainian church in Canada.

The church was closed and all icons and artefacts were removed. The building stands empty, along with a nearby residence.

Holy Ghost Ukrainian Orthodox Church

Holy Ghost Ukrainian Orthodox Church (June 2015)
Source: Richard Turenne

Holy Ghost Ukrainian Orthodox Church

Holy Ghost Ukrainian Orthodox Church (May 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Holy Ghost Ukrainian Orthodox Church

Holy Ghost Ukrainian Orthodox Church (August 2020)
Source: George Penner

Holy Ghost Ukrainian Orthodox Church

Interior of Holy Ghost Ukrainian Orthodox Church (September 2011)
Source: Sterling Demchinsky

Residence near Holy Ghost Ukrainian Orthodox Church

Residence near Holy Ghost Ukrainian Orthodox Church (May 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.30894, W100.27573
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Holy Ghost Ukrainian Orthodox Cemetery (RM of Dauphin)

Sources:

We thank Richard Turenne and George Penner for providing information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Sterling Demchinsky.

Page revised: 28 May 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.