Historic Sites of Manitoba: Highland School No. 1628 (RM of St. Clements)
The Highland School District was established in May 1912 and one-room schoolhouses operated at SW12-13-5E in the Rural Municipality of St. Clements. It was expanded to two classrooms in late 1918. The building was destroyed in January 1956 and was replaced at a cost of $24,500 with a new structure that opened in the fall of 1957. In 1966, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Happy Thought Consolidated School District No. 1452 and later the Lord Selkirk School Division.
The teachers of Highland School were Isabella Calder (1913), John A. May (1914), Alexander Todd (1914-1916), James Connaghan (1916), W. W. Woodward (1917), Montague Shore (1917-1918), Agnes Ellen Martin (1918-1920, wife of W. J. Sisler), Kate Livingstone (1918-1923), Marie Rankin (1920-1921), Mabel B. Dickie (1921), Lillian Blanche Moar (1922), Ellen Fraser (1922-1923), Edith M. Deacon (1923-1925), Mildred J. Brown (1924-1925), Evelyn D. Woods (1925-1926), Elsie Dorothy Turner (1925-1927), Lila Rae Stephens (1926-1928), Jean Anne Mitchell (1927-1928), Violet E. L. Hark (1928-1930), Blanche Clarissa Hark Wolfe (1928-1931), Richard Jeffreys Rolfe (1930-1931), Emily Goodchild (1931), G. W. Graham (1931), Lillian E. Plewes (1932), Dorothy Ruth Matheson (1932), Florence Isabel Sheldon (1932-1933), Jean Beryl Matheson (1932-1933), Hymie Litwack (1933-1934), William James Swirsky (1933-1938), Peter Tony Stefaniec (1934-1936), John Dubas (1936-1941), Paul Harry Rudiak (1938-1939), William Nazeravich (1939-1941), George E. Yachnicki (1941-1942), William Kereluk (1941), Nellie Sozanski (1942), Anne Margaret Zalubniak (1942-1943), Nellie C. Rowe (1942-1943), Clara J. Kososki (1943-1944), Nellie C. Meade (1943-1946), Evelyn Merle Findlay (1944-1945), Mary Donliski (1944-1946), Felix J. Kulryk (1947-1948), Helen E. Kulryk (1947-1948), Helen Rose Osiawy (1948-1949), Helen E. Koltalo (1948), Helen Elaine Witko (1949), Sonia Susan Kowalchuk (1949-1950), Margaret Theresa Black (1949-1950), Annie Marjorie Shalay (1950-1952), Alice Julia Shalay (1950-1954), Alexander William. Shalay (1952-1957), Matt Parypa (1953-1954), Walter Stayko (1954-1959), Sidney Norman Tether (1957-1959), Neil McTavish (1959), Myrtle Barnett (1959-1961), Rose Doroschuk (1960-1963), Miss M. B. Budz (1961-1966), Florence Hatton (1964), and Sharon Packer Vinsky (1964-1965).
Selkirk topographic map, 62I/2, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Obituary [Agnes Ellen Sisler], Winnipeg Free Press, 4 August 1981, page 71.
The East Side of the Red: A Centennial Project of the Rural Municipality of St. Clements, 1884-1984 by the St. Clements Historical Society, 1984.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 March 2018
Back to top of page