Historic Sites of Manitoba: Herdsman’s House (Neubergthal, RM of Rhineland)
This modest building was used originally by the village herdsman in Gnadenfeld then was moved to its present site in the village of Neubergthal in the Rural Municipality of Rhineland. Its use by the local herdsman, who tended livestock in the communal pasture across the road, continued until it was occupied by the Klippenstein family in 1912. The building was inhabited until 1965 by a Klippenstein descendant. The structure contains its original beamed ceiling and stenciled floor boards, and was restored by the present owners. A municipally-designated historic site, the building is now used as a guest house and Artist-in-Residence.
Also on the property is a 1928 barn erected by the Klippenstein family.
Herdsman’s House (Klippenstein House), Neubergthal, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
We thank Jake Rempel and Margruite Krahn for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 22 December 2015
Back to top of page