Historic Sites of Manitoba: Helendale School No. 1693 (Municipality of West Interlake)
The Helendale School District was established in April 1913 and a one-room schoolhouse was built at NW31-20-5W in what is now the Municipality of West Interlake. The school was closed sometime after 1959 and the district was dissolved in 1967. Its area became part of the Lakeshore School Division. The foundation and water pump of the former school were present at the time of a November 2014 site visit.
Among the teachers who worked at Helendale School through the years were Mr. Scarlet, Mr. Sampson, John Mills, Mr. Powell, J. S. Douglas, Bontina Erlendson, Francis Calhoun, Edward Miskelly, Pearl Langrell, Ruby Hamilton, Miss Graves, Lilly Humiski (Mrs. Fred Kell), Rose Cook, Bernard Froese, Muriel Hewer (Mrs. D. Henrotte), Mrs. Rita Elliot, Rosalie Enns, Mrs. Annie Wiley, K. Bruce, Donald Harder, Mrs. Barnett, Mrs. Louella Erickson, Mrs. K. Breckman, George Henderson, Nadine Dahl, Elizabeth Calwood, Margaret Sayer, and Mike Kazakawick.
Eriksdale East topographic map, 62J/16 East, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Wagons to Wings: History of Lundar and Districts, 1872-1980 compiled by Lundar and District Historical Society, 1980.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 30 November 2018
Back to top of page