Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hazel Glen School No. 1858 (RM of Brokenhead)
The Hazel Glen School District was organized formally in February 1917 and a school building operated on the southwest quarter of 19-12-7 east of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Brokenhead. It was replaced around 1954 by the present structure, which closed in 1968. The building was later used as a community centre but was vacant at the time of a 2012 site visit. It was later converted into a private residence.
Among the teachers of Hazel Glen School were Laura Thorarinson Armstrong (1932-2013) and Ruth Emisch (1953-1955).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Over the Rainbow: Memories of a Country School Teacher by Ruth Emisch, 1993.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
Obituary [Laura Johanna Gudrun Thorarinson Armstrong], Winnipeg Free Press, 10 September 2013.
We thank Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 September 2020