Why is this page orange?

MHS Smarty Party: 20 October 2022

Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Harvey School No. 1015 (RM of Wallace-Woodworth)

The Harvey School District was formally established May 1899, named for early local physician Dr. Harvey (?-1889), and a one-room school building was erected at NE6-10-23W in what is now the Rural Municipality of Wallace-Woodworth. The school opened in 1900 and it operated until 1943 when low enrollment caused it to close. It reopened from 1951 to 1958, closing permanently in the latter year. Its remaining students were bused to Oak Lake. The district was dissolved in January 1967. The building is no longer on the former school site, but a fieldstone monument unveiled on 21 July 1991 commemorates it.

Among the teachers of Harvey School were Grace Mitchell (1900), Miss Brether (1906), and Mrs. William Cochrane.

Harvey School

Harvey School (no date) by W. R. Beveridge
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 40.

Students and teacher of Harvey School

Students and teacher of Harvey School (1906)
Source: Ox Trails to Blacktop by Oak Lake History Committee, 1982.

The former Harvey School building

The former Harvey School building (no date)
Source: Ox Trails to Blacktop by Oak Lake History Committee, 1982.

Harvey School commemorative monument

Harvey School commemorative monument (September 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.81295, W100.57680
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Ox Trails to Blacktop by Oak Lake History Committee, 1982, Manitoba Legislative Library, F 5649.O23 Oxt.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 7 March 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.