Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Sherbrook Pharmacy / McCullough’s Drug Store / Harman’s Drug Store (647 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)

This Winnipeg building, at the intersection of Portage Avenue and Sherbrook Street, has been home to drug stores for most of its existence. Acquired by druggist George W. Bartlett around 1905, it accommodated a drug store operated by Charles McKeown and Charles A. Hunter. In 1906, both men were charged in Winnipeg County Court with unlawful operation under the Pharmacy Act because neither of them had passed Manitoba examinations nor were they members of the Manitoba Pharmaceutical Association. Magistrate Daly fined McKeown $20.

Around August 1908, William McCullough (1877-1947) and Mr. Vroman purchased the property from McKeown & Hunter and established the William McCullough Drug Store, later known as the McCullough Drug Company.

McCullough’s business continued into the early 1930s when it was acquired by Reginald Lewis “Reg” Harman, who in October 1932 renamed it Harman’s Drug Store. The business boasted a lunch counter in addition to providing pharmaceutical services. Renovated during the 1950s, the interior was intentionally kept in vintage condition and was a popular destination of Winnipeggers. Operated in later years by Harman’s son, the building was purchased by Jack McCombe in 1982.

Harman's Drug Store

The former Harman’s Drug Store building (July 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.88872, W97.15877
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

“Esculapians prosecuted,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 June 1906, page 9.

“Pharmacists prosecute,” Winnipeg Tribune, 15 June 1906, page 9.

“County Court Cases,” Winnipeg Tribune, 9 July 1906, page 8.

“Pharmacy prosecutions,” Winnipeg Tribune, 15 September 1906, page 13.

“Pharmacy,” Manitoba Free Press, 29 December 1906, page 16.

“Wanted - drug clerk apprentice,” Manitoba Free Press, 25 June 1907, page 17.

“Pinchin and peculation,” Winnipeg Tribune, 11 November 1907, page 1.

“New branch library,” Winnipeg Tribune, 31 December 1907, page 7.

“Pharmacy sold,” Winnipeg Tribune, 24 August 1908, page 4.

“List of city druggists acting as Free Press want ad agents,” Manitoba Free Press, 19 November 1908, page 14.

“Elected President,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 November 1929, page 1.

Obituary [William McCullough], Winnipeg Tribune, 18 April 1947, page 23.

Obituary [William McCullough], Winnipeg Tribune, 21 April 1947, page 21.

“Where everyone knows your name,” Winnipeg Free Press Community Review Northeast, 8 March 1995, page 5.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 14 March 2016

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.