The 1½-storey Hamm House, in Neubergthal in the Rural Municipality of Rhineland, was built around 1880 for Johann and Anna Hamm. Originally part of a combined home/barn unit, the upper walls of the timber frame structure were filled with sun-dried mud bricks. In 1906, the house was moved to the back of the site and used as a granary. It was later moved to the present site and renovated as a picnic shelter. Some restoration of the building was done as part of the Manitoba Prairie Icons Project.
Hamm House (February 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Hamm House (October 2018)
Source: Graham Schellenberg
Site Location (lat/long): N49.07535, W97.48177
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Neubergthal Mennonite Street Village (Neubergthal, RM of Rhineland)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Prairie Churches Project / Manitoba Prairie Icons Project
Hamm House, Lot 4 Block 4 Plan 556, Neubergthal, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
We thank Jake Rempel and Graham Schellenberg (Neubergthal Heritage Foundation) for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 October 2018
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.