Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 142 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hamiota Millennium Park (Hamiota, Municipality of Hamiota)

This park was created as a joint venture between the Town of Hamiota and the Rural Municipality of Hamiota. A plaque in it provides a brief history of the area.

Interest in settlement in the Hamiota district began in 1878 with a North West Mounted Police grant on the northwest quarter of 32-15-23 west of the Principal Meridian. Homesteading began in 1879 and brought an influx of Scottish, English, and Irish settlers from Perth, Huron and Bruce counties in Ontario. In 1884, the RM of Hamiota was established, comprising Townships 13 to 15 in Ranges 23 and 24 in the County of Shoal Lake. Known at the time as the RM of Oak River, it was renamed in August 1895. By 1909, the majority of the land had been homesteaded or purchased.

The original site for the Town of Hamiota was SE4-14-23W where Thomas Hamilton built a store and post office in 1881. The community moved when, in 1891, rumours circulated that the North West Central Railway would approach further north. The original name of Hamilton was changed to Hamiota in 1884 to avoid confusion in mail delivery with Hamilton, Ontario. “Ham” was taken from “Hamilton” and “iota” meaning many, was added to create Hamiota.

Colin McMurachy hauled the first house into town in 1891 and George Elliott had the basement of his pioneer store ready for business with the arrival of the first train on 18 December 1891. The post office soon moved to Elliott’s store. In support of the agricultural community, the first grain elevator was built in 1892. A school, The Hustler newspaper, and Orange Hall, a hotel, and all the businesses needed to supply a pioneer community were in place during the first two years. At the urging of the residents, a Charter of Incorporation to establish Hamiota as a Village was secured on 1 December 1906. It achieved Town status in 1998.

Hamiota Millennium Park

Hamiota Millennium Park (September 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.18110, W100.59946
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 30 January 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2021 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.