Historic Sites of Manitoba: Halter Building / Women’s Health Clinic (419 Graham Avenue, Winnipeg)
This three-storey building in Winnipeg along the north side of Graham Street, between Kennedy Street and Vaughan Street, is named for businessman Aubrey J. Halter. Built in 1960, the 15,000 square foot office and retail structure hosted the Macdonald’s Book Store owned by Halter’s wife Nola Perevette Brown (1928-1998, daughter of F. R. Brown). The bookstore, which opened on 9 December 1960, featured an array of arts, music, and cultural wares. Other commercial tenants in the building included footwear and bridal garment vendors. In 1987, the five-year old Women’s Health Clinic moved into the building.
In 2004, Halter donated the $850,000 building to the Women’s Health Centre in memory of his late wife. A plaque unveiled in 2005 commemorates the donation.
“New city bookstore opens Friday,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 December 1960, page 30.
“Featured in Macdonald Book Store...,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 December 1960, page 30.
“High-fashion ladies’ shoes at new store,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 December 1960, page 19.
“Announcing the grand opening,” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 September 1962, page 18.
“An unforgettable character,” Winnipeg Free Press, 2 August 2005, page A12.
“Building donated to clinic,” Winnipeg Free Press, 10 September 2004, page A8.
Obituary [Nola Pererette Halter], Winnipeg Free Press, 28 March 1998, page C10.
“Rock lovers owe a big thank-you to Rassy Ragland Young,” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 April 2013, page A8.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 14 October 2017
Back to top of page