Historic Sites of Manitoba: Half-Way House Museum (Hargrave, RM of Wallace-Woodworth)
The Half Way House Museum was situated in a small house on the main street, next to a grocery store, in Hargrave in the Rural Municipality of Wallace-Woodworth. The name was based on its location half-way between Winnipeg and Regina, and half-way between Virden and Elkhorn. The facility, opened in 1967 as a Canadian centennial project by local grocer and postmaster Edward George Page (?-2013), featured a collection of antique firearms spanning some 200 years, and visitors were welcome “to rest on settees and chairs.” The museum closed in 1973 and the collection was sold to a person from Treherne who later donated it to the Treherne Museum. The building was moved to the Harmsworth district and used for a time as a workshop for making folk art toys.
“District news,” Brandon Daily Sun, 15 June 1949, page 7.
1974 voter list, Ancestry.
Binding Our Districts by History Book Committee, 1989. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5648.H374 Bin]
We thank Don Page for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 November 2018
Back to top of page