Historic Sites of Manitoba: Haland School No. 1227 (RM of Coldwell)
The Haland School District was established in February 1903 and a one-room schoolhouse operated on the line between SE12-18-3W and NE12-18-3W in the Rural Municipality of Coldwell. In 1953, a new school and teacherage were built at NE13-18-3W. It closed permanently in 1966 and the district was dissolved in 1967. Its area became part of the Lakeshore School Division. The former school building was moved to NE27-17-3W where it was renovated into a private residence.
Among the teachers who worked at Haland School through the years were Emily Baldwinson (Mrs. Jonas Palson) (1903), Fred Olsen (1905), Matthildur Kristjanson (1906), Olafia Jonina Jonsson Melan (1907-1909), Steina Stefanson (1910), Sigga Brandson (Mrs. Dr. O. Bjornson), M. Kelly, E. Eyolfson, A. Hanneson, E. Long, C. Palmason, R. Thorsteinson, K. Fredrikson, S. Johnson, Rev. G. Arnason, V. Sigvaldson, V. Eyolfson, R. Johnson, L. Eyford, M. Goodman, M. McPhail, N. Skaftfeld, M. Pitchall, S. Spicer, E. Alperstein, V. Hughes, L. Schafer, Mrs. Vidal, K. Stephanson, P. Johnson, M. G. Owen, A. J. Wilson, Olavia Palsson, M. E. Costen, K. A. Todd, V. Werier, M. Parker, P. Franzman, E. Ozal, H. Sheldon, A. Peloquin, J. Zeller, J. Wood, I. Irwin, E. Jacobson, V. Weisner, F. Kunzelman, M. Leschynski, B. Clements, H. M. Landry, L. Dyck, L. Heindricks, P. Sawatski, Betty Goertzen (1957-1958), E. Friesen, B. Weins, Ed Levandoski (1960-1965), Szport, R. Jarema, and Mrs. Gibson.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Wagons to Wings: History of Lundar and Districts, 1872-1980 compiled by Lundar and District Historical Society, 1980.
The Interlake Beckoned: A History of Inwood and Surrounding Districts by Inwood History Book Committee, 1980. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.I59 Int]
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
We thank Henry Esau for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 31 March 2021