This three-storey brick and stone block on McMillan Avenue in Winnipeg was designed by local architect John Hamilton Gordon Russell and constructed in 1912 by contractor William James Davidson at a cost of about $110,000. The 112 feet by 141 feet building contained 34 apartments.
Memorable Manitobans: John Hamilton Gordon Russell (1863-1946)
Memorable Manitobans: William James Davidson (1879-1969)
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 2672/1912, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Apartment House Architecture in Winnipeg to 1915 by David Spector, December 1980.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer, Gordon Goldsborough, and George Penner.
Page revised: 12 March 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.