Historic Sites of Manitoba: Greenwood School No. 48 (RM of Rockwood)
The Greenwood School District was established in January 1878 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NE15-15-2E in the Rural Municipality of Rockwood. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its catchment area became part of the Interlake School Division.
Among the teachers of Greenwood School were John A Ferguson (1879-c1871), William Fraser (c1881-?), David Iverach (1892), Alice Land (1893), Lizzie McPhail (1893), Charles H. McMahon (1894-1895, 1898-1900), Elizabeth Galbraith (1896-1897), M. McLeod (1897), Maggie McBeth (1900), Ella Dart (1901), M. MacLeod (1901-1902), M. McLeod (1902), M. M. Campbell (1902), J. Gordon Porteous (1903), Nellie Buchanan (1903), Ursula R. Neal (1904), Fred E. Palmiter (1904-1905), George Silver (1906), S. H. Savade [Savada] (1906), A. J. McIntyre (1908), H. E. Forster (1909), Audrey E. Reid (1909-1910), William J. Edwards (1910-1911), B. McEachern (1911-1912), Ada L. Milne (1912-1914), Alice Davenhill Keller (1914-1915), Grace Van Alstine (1915), Marian L. Smith (1915-1916), Margaret Lemoine (1916-1917), Mary J. Cosens (1918-1919), E. J. Sinclair (1919-1920), F. H. McKinnon (1921-1921), Jessie M. Cosens (1922-1923), Raymond W. Dicks (1924-1925), Frances McPherson (1925), Grace V. McMillan (1925-1956), Charles F. Leavens (1926-1927), Mrs. Hope Bowman (1927-1930), Edith M. Hampton (1930-1932), Mary Ellen Goach (1932-1936), Ethel Luella Denoon (1936-1937), Muriel Wilson McClymont (1937), Walter Philip Matthewson (1937-1944), Mrs. H. E. Hetherington (1946), Myrtle Irene Lee (1946), Maurice Campbell (1947), Norman McDonald Koester (1947), Cecilia Jean Neumann (1948-1949), Dorothy Margaret Munro (1950-1951), Alice A. Tanchak (1951-1952), Anne Helen Epp (1953-1954), Margurite Olive Irvine (1954-1955), Mrs. Phyllis Evelyn Cockerill (1955-1959), and Laura Isobel Green (1960-1962).
“The Indian famine fund,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 March 1897, page 4.
Manitoba School Records Collection (GR2406), Greenwood School District No. 48 Half Yearly Attendance Registers, 1897-1905, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection (GR2406), Greenwood School District No. 48 Daily Attendance Registers, 1906-1962, Archives of Manitoba.
Stonewall West topographic map, 62H/11 East, Edition 1, 1952, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
100 Years of History, Rockwood Municipality by the Rockwood Municipality History, 1982.
We thank Maureen Corrado for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 9 September 2018
Back to top of page