Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Green Oak School No. 1595 (RM of Brokenhead)

The Green Oak School District was organized formally in September 1911 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW4-14-8E, and later NW4-14-8E, in the Rural Municipality of Brokenhead. In May 1920, the district borrowed $2,000 to build and equip a teacherage. For the 1967-1968 school year, its last year in existance, local students were bussed out of the district to attend classes. The district was dissolved in 1968 and its catchment area became part of the Agassiz School Division.

Among the teachers of Green Oak School were P. P. Schreyer (February-June 1916), F. C. Edwards (February 1916, Saturdays), William Lisowrey (March-July 1916, Saturdays), W. P. Donaldson (Fall 1920 - Spring 1921), Albina Korman (Fall 1921 - Spring 1922), W. G.? McNab (Fall 1923), Robert C. Marsh (Spring 1924 - Sprinng 1927 & Night School), Muriel G. Reid (Fall 1927 - Spring 1928), Margaret Agnes Garowski (Fall 1928 - Spring 1929), Lydia Beck Hill (Spring 1930), Fred Klym (Fall 1930 - Spring 1931 & Fall 1950 - Spring 1956), Mary Eleanor Lashek (Fall 1931 - Spring 1932 & Fall 1933 - Spring 1934), William Andrieshyn (Fall 1932 - Spring 1933), Emily Macroviocz (Fall 1934 - Spring 1935), Mary Karpetz (Fall 1935 - Spring 1938), Felix Joseph Kulyk (Fall 1938 - Spring 1940), Helen Elsie Kulyk (Fall 1940 - Spring 1941), Joseph Yalchew (Fall 1942 - Spring 1943), Alvin Bartley Campbell (Fall 1943 - Spring 1946), John Zurbyk (Fall 1946 - Spring 1948), Emil Joseph Borsa (Fall 1948 - Spring 1950), Margery Doris Mariash (Fall 1956 - Spring 1957), Susan Kuczek (Fall 1957 - Spring 1959), Agnes C. Remias (September 1959 - February 1960), Nellie A. Greschuk (March-June 1960, Fall 1960 - Spring 1963, & Fall 1964 - Spring 1967), and Adolph Richard [Richard Adolph] Rattai (Fall 1963 - Spring 1964).

The first Green Oak School

The first Green Oak School (no date) by J. E. S. Dunlop
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 146.

The second Green Oak School

The second Green Oak School (no date) by J. H. Plewes
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 146.

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.16433, W96.45150
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Molson West topographic map, 62I/1 West, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Green Oak School District #1595 Daily Registers, GR9480, Archives of Manitoba.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Green Oak School District #1595 Cash Book, GR0565, Archives of Manitoba.

Corporate Security registered documents (ATG 0089), No. 3 - School District of Green Oak, GR12576, Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 11 August 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.