Historic Sites of Manitoba: Louis Greenburgh Plaza (Scotia Street, Winnipeg)
Previously an unnamed green space on Scotia Street just south of Leila Avenue, this Winnipeg site was named for Louis “Lou” Greenburgh, a highly decorated Second World War pilot, probation officer, and local resident. The property was originally slated to be sold for residential development but a community petition led by Lou preserved the land in its undeveloped state. The Louis Greenburgh Plaza was posthumously named in his honour in May 2008.
The plaza also features a commemorative pole representing the recorded water levels on the Red River during the floods of 1826 (nearly 30 feet above seasonal average), 1950 (23 feet higher higher than seasonal norm), and 1997 floods. A display panel within the park details the a brief history of such milestone floods, highlighting the subsequent raising of Scotia Street, along with protective dikes and pumping stations built along the Red River, to help further protect local citizens from future floods.
Lord Selkirk - West Kildonan Community Committee Regular Meeting Minutes, 18 September 2007, City of Winnipeg.
Standing Policy Committee on Protection and Community Services Regular Meeting Minutes, 23 May 2008, City of Winnipeg.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 9 November 2014
Back to top of page