Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Young Historians 2019
Young
Historians
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Grand Bend School No. 595 (RM of Cameron)

The Grand Bend School District was established formally in June 1889, named for a community in Ontario. A one-room frame school building was erected later that year, at a cost of $600, on the northwest corner of 28-5-24 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Cameron. Enrollment never exceeded 17 students at a time. The school closed in 1946 when it was consolidated with Lauder School No. 779. The building was sold and moved to a farmyard one mile north, where it was used as a garage. A monument unveiled in 1989 commemorates it.

Among the teachers of Grand Bend School were Miss Lillian Beynon, Harvey Clare, Miss Burland, George Oliver, Dave Dorrance, Miss Edmondson, Miss C. Campbell, Miss I. Fox, Frank C. Jacobs (1936-1939), Miss Alice Jordan, Miss Mary Jordan, Miss Jean Bent, Miss Isobel Drummond, and Phyllis Atkinson (1946).

Grand Bend School

Grand Bend School (no date) by George Hunter
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 93.

Grand Bend School

The former Grand Bend School building (May 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Grand Bend School

Grand Bend School monument (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.42886, W100.66924
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Century of Living: Hartney, 1882-1982 by Hartney and District Historical Committee, 1982. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.H37 Cen]

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 13 January 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.