Historic Sites of Manitoba: Goulbourne School No. 1878 (Municipality of West Interlake)
The Goulbourne School District was established in April 1917 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE35-24-8W in what is now the Municipality of West Interlake. In 1967, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Lakeshore School Division. At the time of a 2016 site visit, only remains of the school’s stone foundation were visible.
Among the teachers of Goulbourne School were Mr. Hallard (1917-1920), Dorothy Harris (1935), and Wilma Reimer.
Ashern topographic map, 62O/1, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Taming a Wilderness - A History of Ashern and District, Ashern: Ashern Historical Society, c1976.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 13 June 2017
Back to top of page