Historic Sites of Manitoba: Good Hope School No. 539 (RM of Rockwood)
The Good Hope School District was established formally in June 1888 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE33-14-2E in the Rural Municipality of Rockwood. The school closed in 1966 and its strict was dissolved in 1967. The district area became part of the Interlake School Division. No vestige of the former school remains at the site.
The teachers of Good Hope School were William Weir (1889-1890), Miss Ida Schaeffer (1890), Miss Florence Schaeffer (1891), Miss Alberta Hornibrook (1892), A. W. McKinnon (1893), William T. Shipley (1894), A. A. Nicholls (1895-1896), Miss Julia Peach (1897-1898), George Wesley Bartlett (1899), J. A. McDonald (1900), W. L. McKenzie (1901), J. Gordon Porteous (1902), John S. Peach (1903-1904), William T. Shipley (1905-1906), N. Nickelson (1907), John E. Currie (1908), Laura Wallace (1908), Miss May Wright (1909), Miss Margaret Patterson (1910), U. K. Moore (1911), Miss Ethel Shipley (1912), Richard Ellice Brown (1913), Miss May McEwen (1914), Miss Ethel Shipley (1915), Miss Edythe Mollard (1916-1917), V. Heise (1917), Miss Grace Hamilton (1918), Lisle Cornish (1918), Miss Dorothy Robinson (1919), Miss Pearl McIntyre (1920), Miss Mabel Sparling (1921-1922), Miss Jessie Osborne (1923), Miss Isabelle Leech (1924-1925), Miss Catherine McAdam (1926), Miss Nora James (1927-1930), Miss Mabel Fletcher (1931), Miss Bertha Willis (1932-1934), Miss Audrey Young (1935), F. Guthrie (1935), Miss Violet Foot (1936-1939), Miss Doris Gunness (1940), Lillian Barker (1941), Miss M. Walley (1941), Miss Alida Lund (1942), Miss Irene Slater (1943), Mrs. Edith Stanbridge Peach (1944-1945), Miss N. Walley (1945), Miss Marjorie Jahns (1946), Mrs. Helen Croy (1947), Mrs. Dorothy Martin (1948), Miss S. Medock (1949), and Mrs. Ainsley Main (1950-1966).
Noteworthy students of Good Hope School were J. W. Shipley and John S. Peach.
Stonewall West topographic map, 62H/11 East, Edition 1, 1952, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
“Good Hope School No. 539, 1889-1966” (reunion booklet), copy in possession of John Peach.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
100 Years of History: Rockwood Municipality by Rockwood Municipality History, 1982.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and John Peach.
Page revised: 24 February 2023