Historic Sites of Manitoba: Glenlorne School No. 2073 (RM of Wallace-Woodworth)
The Glenlorne School District was established in May 1921 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW18-11-25W, on land donated by Sidney Carscadden, in what is now the Rural Municipality of Wallace-Woodworth. In 1966, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Virden Consolidated School District and later the Fort La Bosse School Division. The former school building was moved to NW17-11-25W where it was used for a time as a workshop.
Among the teachers of Glen Lorne School were Elizabeth Craig, Nevada Mattick, Emily Stewart, Marjorie Wilson, Mary McNeill, Jean Graham, Margaret Montgomery, Kathleen Moore, Dora Stewart, Doreen Kellsey, Muriel Rome, Helen Restau, and Margaret Frame.
Virden West topographic map, 62F/15 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Mary Ellen Roach.
Page revised: 24 August 2016
Back to top of page