Historic Sites of Manitoba: Glendale School No. 207 (Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)
Glendale School was established in the northwest quarter of 21-14-16 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Rural Municipality of Langford, in 1883 on land purchased from the Canada North West Land Company for $1. In 1928 a new school building was erected. It closed in the fall of 1967 and the district was formally dissolved in January 1968 when it was amalgamated into the Beautiful Plains School Division. Funds from the sale of school assets were used to erect a cairn at the site. During the 1970s, the building was converted into a private residence.
Among the teachers at Glendale School were George H. Blackwell, Miss Doris Earwaker (1932), and Marion Hannah Simpson (1940s).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
On the Road to Excellence: Brandon Festivals, 1927-1987 by Anne Dunfield, Barbara Ehnes, Colin Mailer, Edith Munroe, and David C. Wilson. Brandon: Brandon Music Festival, 1987, page 24.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
The Beautiful Plains Story 1983-2008: The Municipalities of Langford, Lansdowne, Rosedale, Town of Neepawa by Neepawa and Area History Committee, 2008, page 156.
We thank Malcolm Bell for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Allan Drysdale, Alan Mason, and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 31 January 2021