Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Glenburney School No. 387 (RM of Minto-Odanah)

The Glenburney School District was organized formally in April 1885 and a school building was erected on the southeast quarter of 15-13-17W, in what is now the Rural Municipality of Minto-Odanah. In 1934, the original building was replaced with a new structure across the road. It operated until 1967 and the district was dissolved the next year. A monument was erected at the former school site, which is now a private farmyard.

Among the teachers of Glenburney School was Florence “Flossie” Gray (1906), Eva E. Currie (1906), Miss E. L. McCracken (1907), Wilmot E. Gill (1907-1908), T. J. Davis (1908), B. Collier (1908), Mercedes M. Doyle (1911), Ray C. Sakolofski (1911), Eunice M. Ayers (1911-1912), Miss M. A. Thetford (1913-1914), Margaret B. McLeod (1915), Winnifred A. Haggarty (1915-1916), Miss I. M. McNevin (1916), Beryl McNevin (1917), Isabella S. Miller (1918-1920), Margaret Young (1920-1921), Eleanor M. Eldred (1921-1923), Grace Bramwell (1923-1924), Helen Thompson (1924), Elva Grantham (1924-1927), Marjorie Beattie (1927-1928), Clara Marguerite Cox (1928-1930), Bessie Comrie (1930-1931), Sara A. Ledingham (1931-1933), Margaret Jane Downey (1933-1937), Marjorie Jean Stewart (1937-1939), Mabel Belle Smithers (1939-1940), Eleanor Wareham (1940-1942), Marion Simpson (1942-1943), Jean Agnes Montgomery (1943-1944), Noreen Leith Kirkcaldy (1944-1945), Helen Mary Geckie (1945-1946), Margaret Simmons (1946-1947), Evelyn Norah Chambers (1947-1949), Margaret Dell Lindsay (1949-1950), Merle Adele Trembath (1950-1951), Sylvia Helen Syrnyk (1951-1952), Geraldine Mary Knight (1952-1953), Wilma McLaughlin (1953-1955), Olive Gweneth Workman (1955-1956), Mary Teresa Pothorin (1956-1957), David John McDowell (1957-1959), Elizabeth Owens Sumner (1959-1965), Jean Cheryl Yuill (1965), Raymond Morris Beaumont (1966), and Elizabeth Ellen “Beth” MacDonald (1966-1967).

Glenburney School

Glenburney School (no date)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 36.

Glenburney School commemorative monument

Glenburney School commemorative monument (August 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.09377, W99.70572
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Obituary [Margaret Jane Gash], Brandon Sun, 16 September 2000, page 16.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

The Beautiful Plains Story 1983-2008: The Municipalities of Langford, Lansdowne, Rosedale, Town of Neepawa by Neepawa and Area History Committee, 2008.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Glenburney School District No. 387 Daily Registers, GR2063, Archives of Manitoba.

We thank Malcolm Bell for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 6 February 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep
history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.