Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pointe du Bois School No. 1696 / John G. Glassco School (Pointe du Bois, Whiteshell Provincial Park)
In August 1913, a school was established in Pointe du Bois that had formed around the hydroelectric power generating station built here. Destroyed by fire in 1942, it was replaced a modern brick structure designed by Winnipeg architect A. E. Cubbidge. Named John G. Glassco School in honour of early power engineer John G. Glassco, the school closed in 1981. The building was used for administrative offices by Winnipeg Hydro (later absorbed into Manitoba Hydro).
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 June 2018
Back to top of page