Historic Sites of Manitoba: Williams Block / McAskill-Adamson Block / Gladstone Hotel (29 Morris Avenue North, Gladstone, Municipality of WestLake-Gladstone)
This two-storey brick block at the northwest corner of Saskatchewan Avenue and Morris Avenue North in Gladstone, measuring 85 feet by 100 feet, was built in 1902 for the hardware and implement business of brothers Arnold George Williams (1860-1951) and William Williams (1867-?).
The northern part of the main floor originally housed a branch of the Bank of Hamilton but it closed in 1921. The building was renamed the McAskill-Adamson Block in 1920, and the building was later converted into a hotel.
The building was destroyed by fire on 25 December 2022.
1901 Canada census, Library and Archives Canada.
Beyond Third Crossing by Gladstone Rural History Book Committee, 1987, page 708.
Gladstone Then and Now, 1871-2001 by Gladstone History Book Committee, 2001, pages 81-83, 104.
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
“One dead in Gladstone as Christmas fire destroyed heritage hotel, pharmacy,” CBC News, 25 December 2022.
Page revised: 30 March 2023