Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources
The Garson School District was established in May 1906 and a two-storey stone schoolhouse operated in Garson, in what later became the Rural Municipality of Brokenhead. No vestige of the school remains at the site today.
Among the other teachers of Garson School were Edward Bathgate (circa 1919) and Catherine Slater (1940s).
Photos & Maps
Garson School (no date) by J. E. S. Dunlop
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 107.
Garson School (1940s) by Meta M. Kelly
Source: Jean Ammeter
Site Location (lat/long): N50.07465, W96.70639
denoted by symbol on the map above
Selkirk topographic map, 62I/2, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Obituary [Catherine Maria Thexton], Winnipeg Free Press, 5 March 2019.
We thank Nathan Kramer and Jean Ammeter for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 March 2019
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.