MHS Smarty Party: 20 October 2022

Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Village of Garson Monument (Garson, RM of Brokenhead)

This monument in Garson, in the Rural Municipality of Brokenhead, was dedicated on 29 July 1990 in commemoration of the 75th anniversary of the area. Initially, local settlement centred on farming. Commercially viable limestone deposits were discovered on a local farm in 1894 and the first quarry opened between 1896 and 1898. Known originally as Garson, the village was renamed in January 1915 when it was incorporated, taking the name Lyall in honour of businessman Peter Lyall who had bought the quarries in 1912. The village reverted to its original name in 1927.

Village of Garson commemorative monument

Village of Garson commemorative monument (March 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.07612, W96.70440
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 21 September 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.