Agents / Buyers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources
A wooden grain elevator at the railway siding of Fredensthal West, on the CPR Emerson Subdivision in the Municipality of Emerson-Franklin, was formerly operated by the Manitoba Pool Elevators. Built over the spring and summer of 1952 at Fredensthal on the CNR Ridgeville Subdivision, a crib annex was built beside it in 1955. The elevator was moved to its present site, about four miles away, in 1980 and three steel tanks were added on its south side in mid-1992. Closed by Agricore United in 2002, the complex is now used for private grain storage by a local Hutterite colony.
Agent / Buyer
Harry E. Hopkins
James “Jim” Ralston (1921-2000)
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.04733, W97.17404
denoted by symbol on the map above
Manitoba Pool Fonds, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University.
Obituary [James Ralston], Brandon Sun, 26 February 2000, page 22.
“Agricore closes 26 elevators, lays off workers,” Winnipeg Free Press, 6 January 2001, page 4.
We thank Mike Lisowski and Jean McManus for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 October 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!