Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fraser School No. 1301 (Municipality of Harrison Park)
Fraser School was formally established in March 1904 and a school building was erected on this site in what is now the Municipality of Harrison Park. In 1947, the district borrowed $7,000 to built a new one-room school. It operated until 1967 and its catchment area incorporated into the Rolling River School Division. There is a small model of the former school at the site, along with a monument dedicated in August 1987 to the pioneers, pupils and teachers of the district. In the former schoolyard, the concrete foundation of the school building was converted into a granary.
The teachers of Fraser School were Miss Ethel Adams (1904), Miss Annie McTavish (1904-1905), Miss Isabelle McTavish (1906), Miss Francis McGill (1906-1907), Miss Alice Brandt (1908), Miss Hamilton (1909), Miss Cameron (1910), Miss Hume (1910), Mrs. Cooper (1910), S. G. Turner (1911), Rosa Cooper (1912-1913), Myrtle McLellan (1913), Mr. Onofreyo (1913-1914), Miss A. Zubachek (1914-1915), J. P. Hawryluk (1915-1917), A. Basarabowicz (1918-1919), Mr. N. Podworney (1919-1920), Leon Karpar (1920-1921), Miss Zebachek (1921-1922), Basil Trakalo (1922-1924), John O. Pitchell (1924-1926), Miss Harechuk (1926-1929), Stan Biluke (1930-1941), Alex Peloski (1941-1942), Stan Biluke (1943-1946), Miss Marie Zatilny (1946-1947), Miss Helen Choptiuk (Fall 1947 - Spring 1948), Michael Styba (Fall 1948 - Spring 1950), John Raymond Wolski (Fall 1950 - Spring 1951), Miss Lillian Anne Boyko (Fall 1951 - Spring 1952), Miss Margaret Rose-Marie Szwaluk (Fall 1952 - Spring 1955), Ronald Murray “Ron” Cook (Fall 1955 - Spring 1956), Miss Margaret Lillian Hutton (Fall 1956 - Spring 1957), Lawrence “Larry” Yanick (Fall 1957 - Spring 1959), Jean Yanick (Fall 1959 - Spring 1960), Edward Danial “Ed” Sklar (Fall 1960 - Spring 1961), Miss Calla-Ann Lett (Fall 1961), Mrs. Mary Edith Palmer (Spring 1962), Ray Zachary (Fall 1962 - Spring 1964), and Mrs. Evelyn Annette Shindruk (Fall 1964 - Spring 1967).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A History of Sandy Lake and District, 1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.S32 His]
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Fraser School District No. 1301 - Daily Registers, GR2063, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Fraser School District No. 1301 - Daily Registers, GR9579, Archives of Manitoba.
School division borrowing files (MA 0038), Fraser School District No. 1301, GR1798, Archives of Manitoba.
We thank Nathan Kramer and Duncan Waddell for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 December 2020