MHS Online Fundraising Auction: 21 -28 September 2022

MHS Smarty Party: 20 October 2022

Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fort Pinancewaywining (Morden)

Alexander Henry the Younger entered the service of the North West Company in 1792 as a fur trader. In 1802, he established Fort Pinancewaywining near present-day Morden. This post traded with local Cree, Sonnant, and Stone peoples, and was supplied with goods hauled by the first Red River Carts. After leaving southern Manitoba, Henry moved on to Fort Vermillion on the North Saskatchewan River in 1808, and to Fort George at the mouth of the Columbia River in 1813. He died at Fort George in 1814.

A monument along Thornhill Street in Morden commemorates Fort Pinancewaywining..

Fort Pinancewaywining commemorative sign

Fort Pinancewaywining commemorative sign (January 2021)
Source: Art Peers

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.17892, W98.13188
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

This page was prepared by Art Peers and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 7 May 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.