A fieldstone cairn in the Rural Municipality of Wallace-Woodworth, erected in the early 20th century by a group organized by H. H. Goulter of Virden, marks the approximate location of Fort Montagne a la Bosse (also known as Fort la Bosse), a trading post of the North West Company established about 1790. Overlooking the Assiniboine River valley, the original fort site was destroyed during extraction of gravel during construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway through the area.
Monument to North West Trading Post (1957)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, Government Photographs (CH 0267), GR10030, CAM-5-1
Fort Montagne a la Bosse Cairn (September 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.83920, W100.84425
denoted by symbol on the map above
Book Review - Sixteen Years in the Indian Country
Manitoba Pageant, Volume 3, Number 3, April 1958
The Virden Story by Ida Clingan, 1957.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 13 October 2018
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.