A fieldstone cairn in the Sagkeeng First Nation, on the banks of the Winnipeg River, commemorates the former site of Fort Maurepas. Established by one of the sons of la Vérendrye between 1739 and 1749, after the abandonment of the original Fort Maurepas on the Red River, both the North West Company and the Hudson’s Bay Company built fur-trade posts in this area in 1792. The cairn was erected in 1931 by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada to mark an event of national historic significance.
At the time of a visit in September 2013, a metal commemorative plaque was missing from the face of the cairn, several of its stones were dislodged and laying on the ground, and the site was unmaintained.
Fort Maurepas monument (no date)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, Historic Sites - Fort Maurepas #4.
Fort Maurepas monument (September 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.60904, W96.29334
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Plaques for Persons, Events and Sites of National Historic Significance
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 August 2019
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!