Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fort Garry Municipal Hall and Fire Hall / Fort Garry War Memorial (1350 Pembina Highway, Winnipeg)
Built between 1953 and 1954 on a design by the Winnipeg architectural firm of Prain and Ward, this two-storey masonry and concrete structure was constructed by the Bird Construction Company Limited, and completed at a cost of about $158,000. Its opening ceremony on 13 November 1954 was attended by councillor and ex-Reeve Richard Hunter Young, Deputy Minister of Municipal Affairs Randolph Murray Fisher, and ex-Mayor and St. Boniface MLA Leslie Raymond “Ray” Fennell. The building replaced a previous frame structure at the southwest corner of Pembina Highway at Chevrier Boulevard (1605 Pembina Highway). It served as a general office for the Municipality of Fort Garry, as well as a Fire Hall and Police Station. In 1980, firefighters based here were relocated to the new Fire Hall No. 13 at 799 Lilac Street. Police staff moved to a new facility on Grant Avenue in 2014.
On the grounds in front of the building, illuminated by a floodlight, is the Fort Garry War Memorial. Unveiled at a Remembrance Day ceremony on 11 November 1969, it is dedicated to local residents who served their country in the military.
“Municipal Hall of Fort Garry soon started,” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 May 1953, page 8.
[Photo caption], Winnipeg Free Press, 10 June 1953, page 3.
“Tenders,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 September 1953, page 38.
“Contract awarded for Fort Garry Hall,” Winnipeg Free Press, 29 October 1953, page 3.
“Rural Municipality of Fort Garry,” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 March 1954, page 33.
“Fort Garry sets tourist camp levy,” Winnipeg Free Press, 29 October 1954, page 3.
[Photo caption], Winnipeg Free Press, 13 November 1954, page 16.
“200 attend hall opening,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 November 1954, page 22.
Road to the Forks: A History of the Community of Fort Garry by Nan Shipley, 1970.
“Firefighter Norrie,” Winnipeg Free Press, 19 April 1980, page 12.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 11 February 2015
Back to top of page