Historic Sites of Manitoba: Flossie School No. 1265 (RM of Winchester)
The Flossie School District was formally established in January 1904 and a one-room schoolhouse operated on the northwest corner of NE27-1-23W in the Rural Municipality of Winchester. Situated near Flossie Lake, from which its name was derived, the wood frame school was used until 1942 when it was replaced. That school operated until June 1966 when it closed and remaining students were bused to Deloraine Consolidated School No. 2448. The fate of the school building is, at present, unknown.
Teachers through the years included the following: H. E. Montgomery, F. Carriere, Ch. Vanderpont, Miss Kelly, Miss Trotter, Miss Gagnon, Miss L. Lively, Mr. Sigurdson, Miss Alice Andries, Miss Donlon, Germaine Geldof, Miss M. Moroske, Nellie Medel, Leona Sheedy, Miss St. Amant, Martha Andries Schoonbaert, Kaye Clarkin, Natalie Beyko, Lillian Urbanowski, W. H. Tierman, Blanche Lesy, Therese Lavoie, Beta Moffat, Dora Huys, Blanche Vercaigne, Harvey Brown, Mrs. C. Thomas, Mrs. Renwick, Shirley Cannons, Martha Willemen Vercaigne, Mrs. Church, Hazel Muir, Doreen Mirecki, Wanita Neufeld, Sharon Crawthers, and Olga Fosty.
Cummin’s Rural Directory Map for Manitoba published by the Cummins Map Company, 404 Chambers of Commerce, Winnipeg, 1923. [Copy held by Edward M. Ledohowski]
School District Formation Files [Flossie School District No. 1265], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Deloraine Scans a Century: 1880-1980 by Deloraine History Book Committee, 1980, pages 138-139.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 13 April 2015
Back to top of page