Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fisher Branch Pioneer Cemetery / Old St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Cemetery (Fisher Branch, RM of Fisher)
The community of Fisher Branch, in the Rural Municipality of Fisher, developed at the border between properties established in 1908 by Abicide Gamache at NW13-24-2W and Kosyl Rudyk at SW24-24-2W. Over the next six years, over 80 families from the Ukraine, Austria, and Poland arrived and the community flourished. In December 1911, a cemetery at this site was established for the community on land donated by Mrs. Caou Barran. When settlers built a Greek Catholic Church in 1913 on SE23-24-2W, on land donated by Steve Wozniak, a new cemetery was established at SE22-24-2W. A few years later, a non-denominational cemetery was established at SE11-24-2W.
A monument was erected to commemorate the early pioneers buried in this cemetery.
A list of burials in this cemetery is available from the Manitoba Genealogical Society, including a searchable online database available to members at the MGS Manitoba Name Index (MANI). Some additional information is contained in the 1996 MGS publication Carved in Stone: Manitoba Cemeteries and Burial Sites, revised edition, Special Projects Publication, 106 pages.
We thank Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 July 2019
Back to top of page