Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator (Fisher Branch, RM of Fisher)
A wooden grain elevator at Fisher Branch, on the CNR Inwood Subdivision in the Rural Municipality of Fisher, was built in 1951 by Manitoba Pool Elevators. In 1986, it became an off-track facility as the adjacent rail line was abandoned. By the early 1990s, much of its cribbing was so rotten that grain ran from one bin into another through holes. Local producers lobbied to replace it. Rather than build a standard plan elevator, a $1 million grain-handling facility located two miles east of town, consisting of eight steel tanks with a total capacity of 63,500 bushels, opened in 1994. Closed by Agricore in the fall of 2000, it was put up for sale.
Agents / Buyers
Photos & Coordinates
Manitoba Pool Fonds, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University.
“Extra storage may keep elevators open,” Selkirk Journal, 18 December 1990, page 15.
“Producers fear loss of Fisher Branch elevator,” Interlake Spectator, 20 July 1993, page 23.
“Elevator opens,” Interlake Spectator, 5 September 1994, page 2.
“Fisher grain elevator enjoys a silent spring,” Interlake Spectator, 11 June 2001, page 12.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 November 2020