Historic Sites of Manitoba: Finns School No. 2225 (RM of Gimli)
The Finns School District was established in September 1930 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NE31-21-4E in the Rural Municipality of Gimli. In 1966, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Riverton Consolidated School District and later the Evergreen School Division.
Among the teachers at Finns School were Bjarnfrid Johanna Martinson (1931-1937), Thoranna Eyolfson (1937-1939), Swanlaug Swanbergson (1939-1941 & 1946-1949; wife of S. J. Eyolfson), Mabel G. McGowan (Fall 1941), Stewart Defoe Hamilton (Spring 1942), Marion Norman (1942-1943), Elizabeth Olivier (1943-1944), Alberta Louella Hendy (1944-1946), Helen Leduchowski (1949-1951), Michael William Moroz (1951-1957), Emily Dern Yurchi (1957-1959), Teenie Buchko (1959-1960), Joseph Peter Sorokoski (1960-1961), Clifford Frank Kolach (1961-1964), Mary Evelyn Dufault (1964-1965), and Lesia June Minarik (1965-1966).
School division and school district formation files (E 0027), Finns School District No. 2225, GR1688, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Finns School District No. 2225 - Daily Registers, GR6124, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Obituary [Alberta Louella Hendy], Winnipeg Free Press, 12 December 1989, page 36.
Page revised: 8 April 2020
Back to top of page