Historic Sites of Manitoba: Falls House (36 Roslyn Road, Winnipeg)
This 2½-storey brick house at the southwest corner of Roslyn Road and Bryce Street in Winnipeg, measuring 45 feet by 47 feet, was designed by local architects Lindsay Alexander Wardell and David William Fair Nichols and was built in 1907 by contractor A. B. Anderson for businessman John Clare Falls at a cost of about $15,000.
After Falls died in 1924, his family rented the building to various occupants before converting it to a boarding house in the late 1930s. In 1943, it was sold to widow Mary J. Blois. In the early 1950s, Marie E. Martin operated the St. Michael’s Nursing Home in it into the 1970s.
Designated as a municipally-significant historic building in 1994, in March 2022 the foundation was found to be unsound the house was demolished in September 2023.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1259/1907, City of Winnipeg Archives.
J. C. Falls House (36 Roslyn Road), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, January 1994.
“Osborne Village historic home may lose heritage status due to crumbling structure,” CBC News, 7 March 2022.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 October 2023