Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 142 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fairmount School No. 201 (Municipality of Harrison Park)

The original location of Fairmount School, established in December 1883 in what is now the Municipality of Harrison Park, was in the northwest quarter of 3-16-19W, on land donated by John Proven. The district was named for the Ontario birthplace of the local postmaster, Edward McGill. In 1900, a new brick veneer building, 24 feet by 42 feet, was constructed at SE10-16-19W by contractor S. Fairbairn of Minnedosa.

The school closed in June 1920 when it merged with other rural schools to form Basswood Consolidated School No. 1252. The former school building was used as a community hall from 1930 to 1981. A small brick replica of the building was erected at the site in 1983.

The teachers who worked at Fairmount School through the years included Rebecca Bloomer Jackson (1885-1886), Mr. W. T. Halpenny (1887), Katie Cameron (1888-1889, sister of Neil Cameron), W. N. Finlay (1889), Mr. J. T. Wilson (1890-1891), Mr. H. B. Aitkens (1892), Mr. E. B. Fisher (1892-1893), E. K. Marshall, Joseph Marshall (1894-1895, 1896-1898), Mr. D. S. Williams (1895-1896), Mr. Crerar (1899), Joseph Knight (1900-1901), Miss M. V. Bennett (1902-1903), Miss R. Huggins (1903-1904), Miss Ross (1904-1905), Miss Alberta Logan (1905-1906), Miss Jean Coutts (1906-1907), Miss M. McLeod (1907-1908), Mr. C. Hopper (1908-1909), Miss Ducklow, Miss McAllister, Mr. S. McDonald, Henry Lye (1912-1913), Miss Janie Sinclair (1914-1915), Miss Olive Fraser (1915-1916), Miss J. Cameron (1916), Belle Proven (1917-1918), and Mrs. Cooper (1918-1919).

Fairmount School commemorative monument

Fairmount School commemorative monument (August 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.34395, W100.00776
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

1911 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Basswood Leaves From the Past, Basswood & District Centennial, 1970. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.B38Bas]

Basswood, 1878-1978: A Century of Living by Basswood and District Historical Book Society, 1980. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.B38 Bas]

Post Offices and Postmasters, Library and Archives Canada.

We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 28 January 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2021 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.