Historic Sites of Manitoba: European Block / Obee’s Apartments (588 Manitoba Avenue, Winnipeg)
This three-storey brick building on Manitoba Avenue in Winnipeg was constructed in the summer of 1914 by the firm of Cohen and Meyerowitz, represented by partners Alfred Cohen and Abraham Meyerowitz. With a frontage of 97 feet along McGregor Street and 33 feet on Manitoba Avenue, it cost around $40,000 and featured Turkish baths and swimming pools on the ground level, with apartment suites above. Around late 1949, the building was renamed Obee’s Apartments after Jack Oberman and Harry Oberman who operated Obee’s Turkish Baths on the main floor. The building was later converted entirely to residential units.
“Permits grow,” Manitoba Free Press, 24 April 1914, page 9.
“New apartment block,” Winnipeg Tribune, 25 April 1914, page 6.
“New type of block,” Manitoba Free Press, 30 April 1914, page 22.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 29 October 2018
Back to top of page