Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 144 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Eugene Apartments (834 Grosvenor Avenue / 140-144 Lilac Street, Winnipeg)

This three-storey brick block at the corner Grosvenor Avenue and Lilac Street in Winnipeg, measuring 107 feet by 37 feet, was designed and constructed in 1914 by John Alexander Saul at a cost of about $50,000. The building contained 17 apartments in its original configuration. It has 19 apartments today.

Eugene Apartments

Eugene Apartments (January 2020)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.87169, W97.15906
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: John Alexander Saul (1861-1939)

Sources:

City of Winnipeg Building Permit 2231/1914, City of Winnipeg Archives.

Apartment House Architecture in Winnipeg to 1915 by David Spector, December 1980.

Find a Postal Code, Canada Post.

Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer, George Penner, and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 26 April 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2023 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.