The Eton School District was established in November 1884 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NE35-1-11W in the Rural Municipality of Louise. The district was dissolved in 1964 and its area became part of the Crystal City Consolidated School District and later the Pembina Valley School Division. The former school building was used for a time as a granary but was not present at the site in 2013.
Eton School (no date) by W. J. Parr
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 26.
The former Eton School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 598.
Site Location (lat/long): N49.08818, W98.84021
denoted by symbol on the map above
Pilot Mound West topographic map, 62G/2 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 31 March 2014
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.