Historic Sites of Manitoba: Erinview School No. 414 (RM of Woodlands)
In 1885, Erinview School was built on the northwest quarter of 20-16-1 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Woodlands. The sparsely-populated area had few school-aged children so the school closed in 1900 and reopened in May 1904. The building was relocated to NW28-16-1W in 1917 and remained opened until 1942 when it closed permanently due to lack of students. The school burned down in 1953. A monument was unveiled at the former school site in 1995.
Among the teachers who worked at Erinview School was Peter F. Kutcher (1939-1941).
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Audrey Blommaert for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 January 2014
Back to top of page