Historic Sites of Manitoba: Enright Block (189 Jarvis Avenue, Winnipeg)
This three-storey brick and stone block at the corner of Main Street and Jarvis Avenue in Winnipeg is believed to have been built in three stages. The first portion was a small, two-storey block right at the corner of the intersection, with frontage on Jarvis, dating from 1901. The 23 foot by 50 foot structure was designed and constructed by owner John Rickard Clements at a cost of about $3,000.
Renovations in 1909, designed by local architect Frank Robert Evans and carried out by contractor John Dolmer, widened its frontage on Main to its present extent and added a third storey. A second expansion in 1911, designed by Evans and built by the Sutherland Construction Company, increased the residential apartment component along Jarvis to its present size.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 149/1901, City of Winnipeg Archives.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1260/1905, City of Winnipeg Archives.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 2103/1909, City of Winnipeg Archives.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 697/1911, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
We thank Kerrin Asmundson for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer, George Penner, and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 September 2022