Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Stephen’s Presbyterian Church / Elim Chapel (546 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)
Constructed in 1903, and enlarged in 1911 on a design by Winnipeg architect James McDiarmid, this building originally housed the congregation of St. Stephen’s Presbyterian Church. Following the 1925 unification of the Methodist, Presbyterian, and Congregationalist faiths in Canada, it became the St. Stephen’s United Church. In 1927, the congregation merged with that of Broadway Methodist to form the St. Stephen’s-Broadway United Church, based in the former Broadway Methodist building. The building was purchased by Sidney T. Smith for use by the non-denominational Elim Chapel, which had formerly operated a mission on Ellice Avenue.
Photos & Maps
“Plans for induction of Rev. Dr. Woodside tonight,” Manitoba Free Press, 20 June 1924, page 11.
“Church merger wins approval of presbytery,” Winnipeg Tribune, 1 March 1927, page 6.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
“Famous pioneer church,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 January 1956, page 29.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 September 2015
Back to top of page